Bald is Beautiful

Bald is Beautiful

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

6-10-14

This morning I met roger and jerry to pick up the limbs at the downtown lot. Oh so much easier with a skit steer loader and grappler. Machine did all the work. Then we took the limbs to the city dump to burn. Done by noon

Then the real fun began. I had received a call from my brothers neighbor that the cow was out again and he was tired of having to watch our cows. So I went up there to check on the cow that was out. No cow was out.  I counted the necessary number and all cows were accounted for.  So I went to neighbor. He told me which one was out this morning. I told him I was going to get them in and take her (hamburger) to the market. He said he would help me load her. So I went back to the farm and leisurely drove the cows into the lot. Hamburger went into a smaller lot and then with one other cow went into a very small lot. Easy greasy nothing to the herding cows. So I had her separated and no problems. Then the neighbor come over to help me load her into the stock trailer. Had some troubles getting the trailer into a wet lot and such but truck and trailer in position. 

I have teased hamburger with some grain so it was easy to get her from the small lot into the barn. Again easy greasy. Nothing to working cows. 

So it was time to load her. I had double locked every gate and door. All I needed to do was remove I panel and she could walk into the trailer. 

Oh no not so easy farmer bob. Hamburger looked at me and charged me. Now I used all my matador skills and she missed me. So she turned and ran 2 steps and hit the gate going to the feed way. Broke both locks I had on the gate. But then she kept going. Right across from the gate was the stairs to go to the hay loft. I have never seen a cow in a hay loft. Now farmer bob has. Not a pretty sight

So I have an angry cow up in the hayloft. How am I going to get her down. So she tries to get down going under one of the supports. Oops she gets caught. Her head made it under the support but her hips did not. Also her left hind is extended out over thin air with an 8 foot drop. Now I know that cows kneel down from the front. I have no idea how I am going to get this cow to kneel down from the rear legs to get un stuck

The neighbor has three ideas
1. Leave her and let her get out by herself
2.  Call the fire department 
3.  Call the tv station so they can do a human interest story

I am not amused. So I go to the shop and get a ladder and saw. I am going to saw the support to release the cow. She tries to move and is now glaring at me. Like why Did you make me come up here InThe hay loft. She thinks it is all my fault

So I decided that in the present position I am not able to get on the ladder and saw the support. Besides remember what I did last time I was on a ladder. Yeh. I didn't want 2 more broken ribs
So I go back up into the hay loft this time I am able to get hamburgers attention and she bends down and her back side is released,from the support. Now she is loose in the hayloft with me. Again I have to use my matador skills as she is really upset at me. She still thinks this is all my fault. So being the nice farmer that I am I gave her some hay. She began eating the hay and quit being mad at me I think Or at least she stopped trying to butt me and sent me to heaven early. 

So I am able to get to the stairs  I go get some grain. I then try to get her to come to the stairs to eat the grain. No go. She is not stupid and is not going to fall for that old farmer trick. So I use all by bravery skills and get back in the hay loft with hamburger. I then have her eat some grain with me holding the pan of grain   How stupid is that. Now I am ok. She likes me. Yippie. So I back toward to stairs. She does not follow. But she is watching how I get up and down the stairs. So I put more grain at the very top stair and put the rest at the bottom talking to hamburger all the time in a calm voice. (Yeh right). As calm as I can be
Then the neighbor yells that she is headed to the stair and get out of the way. Well no rodeo clown has scaled the fence faster than I as hamburger headed down the stairs. Hum now she is calm and collected and saunters down the feed way right into the trailer as if nothing happened. I as quick as lighting jump over the fence and shut the trailer door before she turns around to exit again. 

Pretty easy. Now I did not take pictures of any of this because it was not funny at 1 or at 2 or at 3. But after getting her In the trailer I am able to laugh at this. The neighbor must be laughing tonight as he tells his wife about the cow InThe hay loft. Now please do not sign me up to be a rodeo clown or to be a full time farmer. 

Thanks for a good day. No one was hurt 

1 comment: